Moth on Daisy

Images of close-up & macro subjects
Reciprocityrules

Moth on Daisy

Post by Reciprocityrules » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:30 pm

I liked the way the background on this came out.....150 mm with extension tubes, f/4, 1/3200, -7/10EV, ISO 200
Moth JPG.jpg
Moth JPG.jpg (1.81 MiB) Viewed 200 times
Jonny

Roderick

Re: Moth on Daisy

Post by Roderick » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:46 am

Nice detail on his antennae. and the colours are very nice indeed.
DoF is an issue but you already knew that. A pretty difficult capture I guess; Great work Jonny

geedee

Post by geedee » Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:49 pm

Very arty Jonny, the black background really makes the colours of the flower and insect stand out for me, nice capture indeed.

Reciprocityrules

Post by Reciprocityrules » Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:29 pm

Thanks fellas. I understand the shallow DOF issues and accept that. I appreciate the "artsy" aspect because I like to make the picture a whole scene. Just part of a bug does nothing for me, and I spend time thinking of the angle of the shot, the background, the colors and how everything blends together. I also move the camera towards and away from the subject to get different focal planes. I may try stacking in the outdoors, but wind plays hell on the subject and plant being still. For whatever reason, I just like taking pictures of bugs. They're not meant to be a scientific representation of the bug but more of an attempt to capture what the eye rarely sees. Thanks!
Jonny