Last PCT of the season

Images of all sports
geedee

Last PCT of the season

Post by geedee » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:09 pm

As the result of experience gained at previous PCTs, on this outing I only used my 24-70 f2.8 Nikkor lens to save carrying the weight of additional lenses and that you can get close to the action that felt like it was lens enough on the day..

I used auto ISO on my D800 given the light changed quite quickly with fast moving clouds in the very high winds. I thought f8 might have the potential to provide enough depth of field and perhaps max sharpness (?) I chose 1/60th in the hope of capturing motion in terms of the drive wheel loosing traction and auto ISO worked out to 125, which I thought was close to ideal...

I could have cropped out the sky to avoid the effect it had on the original RAW file but I really wanted to include all the marker poles as I felt they demonstrated the challenge the driver faced, so had to depend upon a bit of PP to counteract the over exposure, cut down highlights and shadows and had to add a bit of contrast to counteract that, and added bit of sharpness and brightened it up a tad too. Overdone perhaps..?

As ever CC welcomed.
Attachments
_DSC5665.jpg
_DSC5665.jpg (648.72 KiB) Viewed 1039 times

Reciprocityrules

Re: Last PCT of the season

Post by Reciprocityrules » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:20 am

Another enjoyable day at the races Gedee! Glad you got out and were able to enjoy the day. I think the poles do show the skill of the driver, but, like bird pictures, perhaps seeing the car coming towards you or from the side with a bit of the driver's face showing would add a bit of drama or a human element to the scene. It is nice to see the machines though! Thanks!
Jonny

geedee

Post by geedee » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:49 pm

Many thanks for taking the time to provide CC Jonny. Your comments are entirely logical in terms of a photograph presented in isolation as this one was. I will look out one taken earlier at a PCT that might fit with the ideals you favour..

In terms of the sport, I guess given the scoring is related to just how far up the hill the vehicle can get and that the point of failure is when traction and thus forward motion is lost, was the scene I hoped to capture, and given the vehicle is rear wheel drive, then to capture the point at which forward progress begins to fail, equates to the necessity of positioning one`s self either side on or behind as I was at the time of this pic...?

geedee

Post by geedee » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:19 pm

OK, found one Jonny, hope it provides an alternative to consider...?
Attachments
_DSC4331.jpg
_DSC4331.jpg (633.62 KiB) Viewed 1034 times

Reciprocityrules

Post by Reciprocityrules » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:27 am

It looks like jockeying for position with the sun is a big challenge; if there is sun. I see a lot of motorsports shooters that try to find the ideal location and shoot from there. I haven't been shooting, but I think about it. I don't know the particulars of the event, but it appears there are a lot of potential angles to shoot from. Thanks Gedee!
Jonny

geedee

Post by geedee » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:32 am

The challenge on Sunday last was keeping my feet in the gale and trying to avoid camera shake while trying to find a reasonable location from which to grab a few pics. I suspect at some motor sport locations it may be difficult to move location around the track/course and thus end up with a load of pics taken from just one position, but fortunately there is a lot of scope for moving around and getting up close to the action, thus PCT`s seem to be ideal events for those keen to grab a few pics..?