Orion

Images of astro and night time
Roderick

Orion

Post by Roderick » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:56 pm

Since I'm the first, by the "Uinversal Rule of Forums", I win Astro & Night Photography 8-)
A while back I went to shoot the Milky Way but ended up pointing in the wrong direction....

25sec., f2.8, ISO 100, 14mm

I found it hard to remove the orange light pollution tinge in the sky
All CC welcomed.
Attachments
Orion (1 of 1).jpg
Orion (1 of 1).jpg (1.79 MiB) Viewed 1478 times

Reciprocityrules

Re: Orion

Post by Reciprocityrules » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:41 pm

CC - Point the camera in the right direction :shock: Yup - I have been experimenting with night stuff - it's not easy. I like the installation on the lower right - is it shooting down UFOs?
Jonny

Roderick

Post by Roderick » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:19 pm

HAHA! Your comments are noted, Jonny ;)
And the pathetic thing is, I'd paid for, and loaded an astronomy app on my phone that clearly shows the milky way. (Stellarium).

The tower, lower left is claimed to be a tv relay tower, but you and I know the real story, and it involves giant squirrels from beyond the moon.

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:33 am

Roderick wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:19 pm
...you and I know the real story, and it involves giant squirrels from beyond the moon.
Hilarious Rod! 😀😀😀
By the way, did you follow that Astro rule of 500 divided by focal length to get shutter speed, or whatever that is?

Roderick

Post by Roderick » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Hello Mark.
Rules ??? We don' need no stinkin' rules....
Oh, wait; that's badges (or" bpatches" as Alfonso Bedoya was wont to say in "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre").

Yep I was well within that 500 rule, but according to some bloke on the youtubes that rule is completely wrong and he explains by calculating how long it takes for a star to move across the camera sensor a distance of one pixel width.
The answer, depending on the camera is much lower - 2-3 seconds, and depends on latitude.
But he then looses all respect from me my ending his video with some crap about how everybody who quotes the 500 rule should be killed.
Irony is fine but you've got to set it up or people will think you're serious.