Sony A9

Discuss all your camera related topics...
Chimpy

Sony A9

Post by Chimpy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:14 am

Just a quick post for discussion and your views on the Sony A9. Undoubtedly it's a ground braking camera due to 20fps, silent shutter and blackout free view finder etc.

But it seems to have a few issues re: overheating warnings and banding on shots ? To me these 2 issues alone make me think twice about purchasing one.

The biggest issue to me is lack of long fast lenses and pro back up if your gear needs servicing or repair. I would want better if I sunk £4500 on a camera body !

What do you guys think?

Chimpy

Happy Grumpz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Sony A9

Post by Happy Grumpz » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:07 am

Yup, I've seen the reports :shock:

You'd have thought these things would be tested, tested and tested again.

Chimpy

Post by Chimpy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:56 am

I agree Matt, Sony seem to rush out products without proper testing ?

Having spent that much money if not more on a "professional " bodies I can honestly say that if my 1DX's show any faults they are winging their way back to Canon professional services A.S.A.P.

Shortly after the 1DX MKII was released Canon recalled them to fix an error that had been reportred on a small number of bodies. Canon paid for all costs ie repair, parts and carrier costs they did this very swiftly and I was offered another 1DX body as a replacement till mine was returned.

Sony, don't seem to have the facilities to offer service like this, if they want to play with the bigger players they need to up their services and relise that camera gear is a tool professionals use to make a living and it's not like buying a PlayStation.

Chimpy

PeterPP

Post by PeterPP » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Most of this vanishes once the mechanical shutter is activated and it drops to a slow 5fps, if you want to use flash I believe it needs to switch to mechanical shutter..

And agree, have never had my Canons overheat, show banding or run out of battery power.
I hear it also still shows rolling shutter too, but I don't do video so rolling shutter is meaningless to me :lol:
Chimpy wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:14 am
Just a quick post for discussion and your views on the Sony A9. Undoubtedly it's a ground braking camera due to 20fps, silent shutter and blackout free view finder etc.

Chimpy
Peter

It is all about the light and your ability to sculpt it!
Equipment is just a secondary nuisance (but I wants it all, my precious.)

Chimpy

Post by Chimpy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:18 pm

Peter 5 fps is pedestrian for what is called a professional body. Like you say Canon seem to work whatever you throw at them, mine have been soaked, covered in dust, used in 90-100+ C temps to as low as minus 29C.

I think I will see what happens before I will commit to buying an A9.

Happy Grumpz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Happy Grumpz » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:12 pm

My next body will be a 1DXmk2 as they do what they say in the tin.

Chimpy

Post by Chimpy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:15 am

Matt, you won't be upset with it, I love mine.

Chimpy.

David Pavlich

Post by David Pavlich » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:09 pm

I'm not a Sony fan by any stretch. I wouldn't trade a whole field full of them for my Canon. But in defense of the A9, Tony did some extensive testing on the one he bought. He couldn't get it to overheat and he has no banding problems. Tony has been a very vocal critic of Sony for the overheating problem of the 7 series, so it's not like he's a Sony shill. Fact it, he recommends the Panasonic GH4 or 5 for video.

I really dislike the ergonomics of not only Sony, but all of the smallish cameras. So right out of the box, the ML cameras are a non starter for me. And until they have a complete set of fast sport/wildlife primes, there will be little movement to the Sony system by pro shooters. Add to this that their service has been pretty poor. Sony said they're going to fix the service thing, but until we see it, that's another negative mark for Sony to attract pros.

David

Chimpy

Post by Chimpy » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:54 pm

David, I would take what Tony say's with a pinch of salt, I don't rate how he reviews cameras, he's not a professional sports or nature photographer, he not even that good.

He's good with the scientific stuff but when it comes to real world pro shooting he's clueless. I remember him testing zooms using a toy bird on a pole WTF is that all about, I'd rather take advice from the likes of Andy Rouse, Danny Green or Eddie Keogh

http://www.dannygreenphotography.com

http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/

http://www.eddiekeogh.com

Chimpy.

Happy Grumpz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Happy Grumpz » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:25 am

Chimpy wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:54 pm
he not even that good.