PP foul up....

Discuss all your Processing and Image Editing topics...
geedee

PP foul up....

Post by geedee » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:54 am

My recent post in Landscape and architecture of a medieval street was an unintended example of how to mess up a pic in an attempt to improve upon the original... I suspect I was looking to add a measure of sharpness, contrast and as much POP to the scene as possible and ultimately spoiled what started out as a reasonable pic...?

I suspect those who created the algorithms/programming to create a JPG image took rather a lot of time to determine the appearance of the end product and I suspect between manufacturers there may be differences in the eventual JPG appearance from essentially identical sensors, thinking Sony compared to Nikon as it seems in some instances their cameras use the Sony sensor..?

So back to my disappointment in that it seems I was slider happy instead of slider skilled and to prove the point relative to the above, I went back to basics and looked at the JPG file... Sure one has to involve other elements of digital technology to do so which may add their own influences to that which we see, BUT the pic as a JPEG looked far superior to my efforts to make a RAW file POP...

In this case the original JPEGfile size was reduced in size to 600 pixels wide within Adobe Elements for posting here.

Judge for yourself if interested, I would be happy if you cared to share your thinking..
Attachments
_DSC3852.jpg
_DSC3852.jpg (624.56 KiB) Viewed 72 times

Reciprocityrules

Re: PP foul up....

Post by Reciprocityrules » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:55 pm

It's difficult to judge with a reduced image. I know that some of the photos I reduce, they lose detail. Some of them aren't reflective of what I found the most interesting in the photo. I have had to go back to the JPEG occasionally to see if what I edited was an improvement or a detriment. It's difficult for me; I am not a good editor at all.
Jonny

geedee

Re: PP foul up....

Post by geedee » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:41 pm

Jonny, obviously I have no idea of that which any of the images you post here start out as.. BUT seriously, all that you post looks to have great subjects framing, detail and colours, what`s more to want..?