PP or Filters or Both..?

Discuss all your Processing and Image Editing topics...
geedee

PP or Filters or Both..?

Post by geedee » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:25 am

Another pic taken a while back during my visit to Finich Glen/Devils pulpit. I had hoped that my pics might be improved upon compared to my first visit, as this time I had the ability to make use of my new CP filter ideally to cut down reflections on the surface of the water and provide some detail of the stream bed, which worked well enough on the picture "More Red and Green" posted in the General section of the forum, though less so in this pic given the mix numerous bubbles and the necessarily slow exposure created so many white streaks on the surface of the water..duh. Another possible effect of the CP was that it may have increased the greens somewhat and given that the gorge sides are very green perhaps the CP was a less than ideal choice for this pic..?

Another consideration was the obvious dynamic range issues in this and many other of the pics I framed up in the glen as I wanted to include the trees that overhang and help create the wonderful mood when standing at the stream running red below. I could have used ND grads though given the "U" shaped segment of the pic in which the tree branches appear the filter would perhaps have had a dulling effect on the areas of the sides of the glen which the filter would have had an effect..hmm.

In this version I used PP to reduce the green just a tad and also to reduce the highlights in the area of the branches and brought up the shadows slightly too in the hope of presenting more realistic than artistic, NOT that I make any claims on the latter :oops:

CC welcomed as ever.
Attachments
Finnich Glen.jpg
Finnich Glen.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 1003 times

Reciprocityrules

Re: PP or Filters or Both..?

Post by Reciprocityrules » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:43 pm

I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you that location is beautiful. Keep a it Gedee!
Jonny

geedee

Post by geedee » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:15 pm

Thanks for taking the time to provide comment Jonny and for sure I will keep at it.. :) I will post another given you seem to like the location.

Roderick

Post by Roderick » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:39 pm

Looks great Geedee. Subtle and effective edits.
I really like the complimentary textures in the foreground wood, and the water surface
Beautiful photo

geedee

Post by geedee » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:06 am

Rod, yeah it is a great place to visit, however best to pick the right time to avoid the masses. Trying to get to grips with slightly more involved PP processes though nothing "fancy" applied to this series of pics, it would seem impossible to capture anything other than interesting image of such a unusual location.