Old tide washed relic

Discuss all your Processing and Image Editing topics...
geedee

Old tide washed relic

Post by geedee » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:02 pm

I suspect I have posted this or something like it from this location before, though as I was looking through old images I thought to open one or two in Affiniti which I had not bought at the time I took this series of pics.. Converted this one to B&W and did a fair bit of uneducated slipping of the sliders... Any thoughts..?
Attachments
_DSC0144.jpg
_DSC0144.jpg (626.15 KiB) Viewed 997 times

Roderick

Re: Old tide washed relic

Post by Roderick » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:29 pm

A striking angle, Geedee.
Looks like you got your boots muddy ;-)
Only an opinion but it seems to lack a bit of contrast but the hotspots in clipping slightly.
I took a copy and had a look at the histo. I was able to increase the white slider and move the black slider to the left just to the point where the black clips. I also took the highlights slider back a little.

Personally, with b&w stuff I adjust the blue slider in the HSL section down to darken the sky ( I just like it - too many '80s videos on MTV I expect), but you have to be careful as if you apply too much you end uo with weird halos.
You can approximate the IR effect by playing with the colour sliders but I'm considering having an old camera converted - not exactly cheap !

Its a great location you have there Geedee,

geedee

Post by geedee » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:07 am

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback Rod. I have not done much in the way of converting colour to B&W but thought the pic of the relic was reasonable subject matter.... The detail that I found most interesting was on the side of the vessel in shadow, and trying to bring that up without blowing out detail on the lit side created limitations for me relative to my inexpert use of Affiniti..

Yup, it is indeed a great location and only a very few miles from my home.. Wellies are a must.. ;)

Roderick

Post by Roderick » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:12 pm

Hi Geedee.
The straight b&w conversion doesn't reallly work for me. Thats why I like to use the individual HSL sligers to tweek the image.

The highlight/shadows sliders are fairly good but when you use masks tou can sculpt the levels on different parts og the image non destructively.

Take care.

geedee

Post by geedee » Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:58 am

Rod, the PP learning process for me is a sloooooow one given the multitudes of variation available within it when you make suggestions relative to Lightroom I have to contemplate a conversion to Affiniti which potentially adds yet another layer (no pun intended) of complexity for me... :oops:

Beamed up the HSL panel in Lightroom.. 24 sliders available each with a percentage of movement from "zero" to the side of plus or minus... Jeez that is quite a degree of variation/manipulation to have available relative to ones interpretation of how to improve aspects of an image.. and I thought that capturing it as best one could in camera was THE key to capturing the best quality image one could... :oops:

When I look at the tide washed relic pic it was not an image I spent a great deal of time on, though on the day I was trying to capture something I thought reasonable... and that pic was just one of many I took on the day... perhaps that is where I went wrong by taking too many and not giving enough time to any ONE.. :oops:

Yeah it seems PP is indeed so very important in terms of it`s ability to create/rescue something from close to nothing..?

My B&W conversion involved a bit of slider manipulation though no layers were involved (I have yet to gain confidence enough to involve that process) The end product seems to have avoided excess of shadow and highlights and in the process just become a tad ..err..muddy.. :oops:

Perhaps I made a reasonable job of selecting where to crop..? Foreground interest potential seemed not to work as I had lined the scene up in the viewfinder..?

If you are up for further comment, (anyone?) I will post the original, though to post here I had to run the RAW file through Affiniti to convert it to JPG and reduce it in file size which has had who knows what effect you might see on YOUR screen..?

More than happy with any CC as ever. :D
Attachments
_DSC0144 JPG.jpg
_DSC0144 JPG.jpg (468.29 KiB) Viewed 986 times

Roderick

Post by Roderick » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:03 pm

You did well to raise the shadows in the original image, Geedee. There's a lot to be said for shooting RAW