Lough Dan January 2019

Images of landscapes, urban environments & architecture
Roderick

Lough Dan January 2019

Post by Roderick » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:37 pm

Just finished editing this from a hike in January.
1/100th, f8, ISO 280, 52mm.
Attachments
Lough Dan Jan 2019-2.jpg
Lough Dan Jan 2019-2.jpg (1.48 MiB) Viewed 324 times

Reciprocityrules

Re: Lough Dan January 2019

Post by Reciprocityrules » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:08 am

As I mentioned many times, "I couldn't take a landscape shot if my life depended on it." I keep saying I am going to give it a try, but I never seem to do it. I have contractors here, hopefully, finishing up a job started last September, and I have been working a bit on the bike (maintenance, skid plate, engine guards, luggage guards, center stand etc.). I have a rear differential seal blown on my truck that the dealership can't get to till October, so I have been just using the bike to get back and forth. Good excuses not to get out and shoot landscapes 8-)

Looks like a difficult shot due to the clouds and light. I like how the valley is centered, but that darn cloud won't let me see any further. I like the location a lot Rod.
Jonny

Roderick

Post by Roderick » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:47 am

Thanks, Johnny.
I'm just back from an early morning hike up there. I was supposed to meet some people but twas a no-show on their part.
I took a few photos, probably some on the same scene so I'll have a gander at them an post any that are worth a look

Reciprocityrules

Post by Reciprocityrules » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:39 pm

On my bicycle ride this morning I was checking out the lighthouse here, and I may take a run out there to try some composition shots. It looks nice with the sun on it, but sun isn't something we have a lot foretasted for the upcoming week. But, I kind of know where I'll park. I'll meander along the shoreline to find a decent angle. The leaves are starting to change already, but that's expected. In another month we should be in full fall color mode. Where does time go?
Jonny

geedee

Post by geedee » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:07 am

JEEZ... Another image I seem to have missed... Sorry Rod. I like it a lot, I do get a sense of being there in less than ideal conditions to record the scene as you might wish, but then the cloud while robbing of a deeper view, adds a bit of mood/reality, to our more usual climatic expectations... ? ;) When I beamed the pic up I liked the colours in the all important foreground, I then looked to the trees beyond which caused me to think perhaps f11 might have improved the detail there if not a focus merge at F8, the more I look the more interest I find in the houses and the lake in the more distant valley... a lot of interest in terms of imagining possibilities in different weather and lighting conditions... You gotta go back there, that is s scene well worth capturing in a variety of conditions.... Types he who has to rest every few yards when on a steep slope... :oops:

Thanks for posting Rod.. MUCH appreciated.

Roderick

Post by Roderick » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:08 pm

Thank you Geedee. I think I over processed the image, I was zoned in on the clouds and I think the rest of the image suffered as a result.

I've been up there several times this year - last time was last week. I'm still working on the photos I took. Its about an hours drive down and then an hour or so's hike over the hill to reach the lake.
I might have to hike in again this weekend, as the three geniuses I was due to meet down there last week had gotten their dates mixed up, and now claim that theyre camping by the lake THIS weekend.
As Foghorn Leghorn might put it; " I say, - there's something wrong with those boys "...
And the funny thing is that we're related. They're my nephews - an English one, An Irish one and an American ! Gaud help us......

Roderick

Post by Roderick » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:16 pm

Here's a similar image from Last Saturday.
CC4
Attachments
DSC_6770-1.jpg
DSC_6770-1.jpg (1.66 MiB) Viewed 283 times

Reciprocityrules

Post by Reciprocityrules » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:42 pm

I like this one much better. It's not only brighter, the trail that connects the buildings looks like something I'd like to walk. The other photo doesn't draw me in as much. I like the out-of-focus foreground because my focus is pulled towards the buildings and the trail. I am no great landscape critic, but this one is cool. I really like how the buildings are dotted across the valley. Much better for me Rod!
Jonny

geedee

Post by geedee » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Yup enjoying the extra detail too, though to be picky I wonder if it might have been possible to move position to loose the tree breaking up the line of the beach...