Sail Training Ship MAYBE B&W

Images of anything not covered by specific genres
geedee

Sail Training Ship MAYBE B&W

Post by geedee » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:38 pm

Thought I would post a pic of a vessel afloat this time as opposed to the more usual sad old hulks I have posted in the recent past..

Given the classic lines of Maybe, I thought it was maybe worth trying black and white..? (-:

f11 1/160th Tamron 150-600 @ 320mm converted to B&W and fiddled around with in Affiniti..

In the off chance there is interest, those seemed like pre teen kids out on the bowsprit and the one at the front is a little girl, they sure impressed me.. Bound to be loads of stuff on the www on TS Maybe https://www.photograforum.com/download/ ... iew&id=238
Attachments
Maybe B&W.jpg
Maybe B&W.jpg (189.22 KiB) Viewed 237 times

Roderick

Re: Sail Training Ship MAYBE B&W

Post by Roderick » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:38 pm

I like it Geedee.
I'd like a bit more contrast in the sky.
One way to do it is to in Affinity is to apply a b&w adjustment layer, then adjust the colour sliders - particularly the blue one. If you move it to the left it darkens the blues in the sky. The other sliders can have a surprising and pleasing effect too, ;-)

Happy Grumpz
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Happy Grumpz » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:40 pm

I like that geedee, a lot!

My only slight criticism is the horizon is wonky (the 1st thing I always look at)

geedee

Post by geedee » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:02 am

Thanks for the encouragement guys.. Rod not been adventurous enough to get into layers YET, however I did open it in Affiniti within the RAW processing section and in DETAILS which I think is the equivalent of sharpening, I messed with DETAIL REFINEMENT After which I backtracked and opened BASIC, allowing me to adjust exposure blackpoint and brightness.
From Basic I also applied a bit of contrast.
I then carried on into DEVELOP mode which opened up a whole range of possibilities though given I had already applied adjustments in RAW, the only process I used was to convert to B&W and within that I messed with the colour sliders to try to recover the sky detail (great minds think alike (-:) to produce the image I posted. I am guessing if I used "layers" as you suggest Rod, I might have been able to be more selective and thus able to make a better job of the sky..? Will try to post the colour JPEG to show you approximately that which I started out with..

Matt, Many thanks for taking the time to provide CC That I have managed to capture an pic that you like a lot is VERY encouraging... Thanks. Given how simple it is to adjust level in PP I have no excuse for not taking the time to do so prior to posting..Duh! https://www.photograforum.com/download/ ... iew&id=241
Attachments
Sail Training ship Maybe.jpg
Sail Training ship Maybe.jpg (313.93 KiB) Viewed 223 times

Roderick

Post by Roderick » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:41 am

The colour one is nice too !
There are multiple ways of doing edits in PS and Affinity Photo so there's no right or wrong.
As you develop your techniques you'll find ones that you favor.

I have a collection of old .NEF files that I use to try out techniques I pick up from youtube tutorials.
I'll spend 15-20 mins practicing and then leave it for a bit.
Short bursts and a bit of repetition works for me ;-)

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:19 am

I like it too Geedee. I like the composition.